Cree has recently revamped the PCT(Product Characterisation Tool) now called PCT4 or Version 4. This is a significant upgrade in that it further goes deep into underlying key data about Cree leds that previously required additional calculation to get to data that customers need.
As of this writing the Cree online version is 3, but will no doubt update at some point. Cree Online PCT. The EXCEL version discussed here is available as a link at the bottom of this Blog.
Lets run through some of the key points.
The bottom tabs will allow you to toggle across the various data sections. The welcome screen is a good start point as it provides the change notes about Version 4 that indicates the changes that this version has implemented
1. Changed interface to use Data Validation drop-downs to improve compatibility on devices that are not Windows PCs.
So for anyone that has used the Excel version, you may be familiar with this point, if you have or use both Windows and MAC versions. The Windows version was fine as it had a scroll bar to allow your to quickly scroll to the led you wanted, the MAC version was a tedious holding down of the arrow key
WINDOWS VERSION 3
MAC VERSION 3
So both versions now have a scroll bar.
SUB NOTE: You will have to manually select a new Flux bin when you change models because of this change. So as a consequence of this change, when you select a different led, the data will disappear and requires you to select a specific bin in the new led selection to refresh the data table
Led selected and then a valid bin choice is made and the table data is refreshed
2. Added ability to force output in RF mW, RF W & PPF (see Advanced tab). This is the significant upgrade in terms of data provision
Standard Layout with LPW, LED vf, etc
Radiated Energy in mw, WPE(wall plate eff)
Grow Light Data ppf, umoles/j, vf
There are 4 settings in the advanced tab that allow to you see data sets for each setting.
- Default is the standard LPW, watts, vf. The data for this can also be changed by selection from top dropdown boxes
- Force Radiant Flux(mW), this shows led choices in milliwatts of radiant flux and will also display WPE(wall plate efficiency.
- Force Radiant Flux(W), this shows led choices in watts of radiant flux and will also display WPE(wall plate efficiency.
- Force PPF(umols), this shows led choices in PPF or photonic flux and will also display Led PPF/W(umoles/j), grow light efficiency.
Each time you go the advanced tab and make a change to the display mode you then return the characterization tab as the data will have toggled to that newly displayed mode.
This is a significant update to the PCT as there is now a significant increase in data types to allow customers to see in even greater detail the performance of Cree leds for application in general lighting but now in emerging applications such as horticulture.
Get a copy of this Excel Spreadsheet PCT 4 by downloading here